UK Imaging Informatics Group
Angio PACS to Trust Systems PreviousNext
UK Imaging Informatics Group > Questions & Answers > PACS Procurement & Business Cases >
Message/Author
 Link to this message Alan McLaren  posted on Monday, August 15, 2011 - 10:35 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
I am a PACS Migration & Integration Services vendor (MDI Solutions). I am curious to know what Trusts are thinking about in terms of specialty systems such as Angio PACS and related. These were not necessarily part of the national program. Is anyone considering moving these studies to the Trust's PACS?
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Monday, August 15, 2011 - 10:50 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Alan, the question I would ask you is what do you mean by angio PACS?
Angio images come from fluroscopy modalities, CT, MRI. All these images are sent to our radiology PACS for storage & display.

I think principles of angiography display is similar to Orthopaedic Templating.
The radiology PACS supplier must be willing to integrate with plug-ins for vascular display ( Terarecon, Vital, Visage, Voxar etc) which allow for 3D, vessel analysis etc. There should a possibility to store selective post processed images into PACS as a separate series.

Upfront Attitude of suppliers to Plug-ins
1. Ortho templating
2. 3D
3. Vessel analysis
4. Colon analysis
Etc
Will define next generation PACS.
 Link to this message Paul Ganney  posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 09:06 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Cardiology PACS is often a stand-alone (or bolt-on) system to the main PACS. Like Nuclear Medicine, "standard" PACS is often unable to provide the tools for analysing the images and therefore separate systems often exist. Whilst PACS is promiscuous and can store and retrieve anything DICOM, it can't necessarily display it correctly - hence the secondary systems. These secondary systems often come with their own storage. Sometimes the cardiology/NM images are copied to PACS, sometimes they're not.

Hope that clarifies a few things.

Paul=20
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 - 09:53 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
"Like Nuclear Medicine, "standard" PACS is often unable to provide the tools for analysing the images and therefore separate systems often exist."

I agree with Paul. Question is how do you know whether a Radiology PACS is capable of storing & displaying Nuclear Medicine & Mammography images adequately---. If you ask a PACS salesman they are bound to "Oh yes!" That is why the IHE profiles are so important.

Does the PACS support the following 2 IHE profiles (dont be fooled by salesmen)
1. Nuclear Medicine Profile : "The Nuclear Medicine profile is a set of specifications as to how NM systems (Gamma cameras etc) and PACS systems should interact when dealing with NM data. The primary focus deals with storage and display of such data on PACS systems.

PACS (as Image Manager & Image Display actors)
Gamma Camera etc (as Acquisition Modality actor)
must conform to of Nuclear Medicine profile of IHE."

2. Mammography Image Profile: Efficient mammography reading requires specific display quality, behavior, layout and annotation of images, as well as convenient comparison of prior with current images. The IHE Mammography Image Profile (IHE Mammo) was developed specifically to define the necessary mammography requirements.
PACS ( as Image Manager & Image Display actors)
Mammography CR/FFDM (as Acquisition modality actor)
must conform to Mammography Image Profile of IHE.

If your radiology PACS does NOT support these 2 profiles---BEWARE you may need to buy a separate PACS for these 2 modalities.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: