UK Imaging Informatics Group
What's in a name? PreviousNext
UK Imaging Informatics Group > News & Comment > PACS Group Notices >
Message/Author
 Link to this message Nicola Strickland  posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 01:51 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
I suggest that we (the PACS and teleradiology SIG) should change its name to make more pertinent to its current role in modern imaging practice. I suggest either "The Imaging IT SIG" or "The Imaging Informatics SIG". What do people think?
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 02:00 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Nicola,

I agree, we have acquired a wider remit I think. How about "Medical Imaging & Informatics Special Interest Group of Royal College of Radiologists".
Any other suggestions?

We could discuss this at the 8th Nov Meeting at the members only business meeting.

Neelam
 Link to this message William Saywell  posted on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 01:27 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
A good idea, worthy of further discussion at B'ham meeting. Needs to be a snappy name that identifies the group as a College one, but = not exclusive. =20 William
 Link to this message Roy Burnett  posted on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 04:32 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Input to this forum is from many groups within the Imaging community, including radiologists, radiographers, IT, suppliers etc.

I would imagine the non-radiologists would like a name for the group that reflects their input as well. I personally would be happy with Medical Imaging & Informatics SIG.
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 05:01 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Roy,

I do apologise. It was not my intention to offend anyone. I do value the input from radiographers, IT, suppliers etc. This is what gives strength to the Group. You will remember that when Margaret & I took on our roles, the first thing we did was to widen membership to all NHS staff who participate in the Group discussion.

SIG (Special Interest Group) is a term coined by the Royal College of Radiologists. There are many SIGS of RCR Chest SIG, Breast SIG, etc etc. Currently we are the PACS & Teleradiology SIG. I think having the link with RCR is crucial & important. Through RCR we are able to develop & contribute to national guidelines & standards. However, I have been always very proudly annuonced at the SIGS Meetings of the College that what a good multi-disciplinary Group we are. Being a SIG of our College does not mean it cannot be multidisciplinary.
 Link to this message Margaret Cosens  posted on Thursday, September 16, 2010 - 10:22 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Agree that the idea of changing the name to reflect the expanding remit is a good idea. I also think it's important to keep the College link, along with the eclectic membership that is a feature of this Group. I like "The Imaging IT SIG" or "The Medical Imaging IT SIG". But that's just a personal preference to avoid using "Informatics", which I think of as the NHS equivalent of Consignia. If everyone else prefers "Informatics" to "IT" then I will give in gracefully!
 Link to this message John Parker  posted on Friday, September 17, 2010 - 01:32 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
A name change is not an unreasonable idea-PACS was originally developed and sold as a radiology 'thing' (and still is, in some cases, despite the world having moved on...)

I never really understood why the P in PACS only seemed to refer to images in some funny format called DICOM - the dictionary definition doesn't list this, oddly enough.

If the remit is changing, maybe we need to reach out to all those other 'firms 'who create (or use)images so they can contribute to the discussions....(that's about everyone then!)

It would follow on from that, that we need to look at the systems we have, and who they really apply to...eg order comms isn't just a tool for radiology - it should apply to anything clinicians order - blood tests, labs etc. Whilst order comms may need to give a RIS some data, it should feed PACS DIRECTLY - in this way it would open up the door to allow all those other 'ologies to send to PACS, get work lists etc.
Future PACS will accept images in lots of different formats. Reporting will be done in PACS (note not RIS- because non- radiology people report!) and the reports would then be stored TOGETHER along with the images -wouldn't that be a refreshing change!!

Bring it on....
 Link to this message Brandon Bertolli  posted on Friday, September 17, 2010 - 05:41 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Another vote for Neelam's suggestion:

"Medical Imaging & Informatics Special Interest Group of Royal College of Radiologists"

The term 'informatics' is preferable to 'IT' because it implies the optimal use of the technology for problem solving and decision making.
In my opinion it is a better match to where this field seems to be moving.
 Link to this message Laurence Sutton  posted on Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 03:55 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Ithink there is a great opportunity for the group to influence thinking on IT support not only in image management in all its forms but for all associated clinical data, reports, pathology data, discharge letters etc etc.This can be achieved through the groups knowledge of international and developing frameworks for data storage and sharing.(Future Vendor neutral archives for e.g.)Iím bemused still at the sight of porters and secretaries in our trust pushing trolleys of notes and documents to clinics etc and clinicians having to log onto different systems to obtain different bits of information.
I share the view of NS and BB, that the term informatics is a good one now. (I used to think it a crass term used by IT departments to create an aura of mystery and limited to a practicing few).

I suggest 'The RCR Informatics Group'

Need to review TOR and scope. For discussion.
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Sunday, September 19, 2010 - 10:38 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Some other Suggestions
Healthcare (or NHS) informatics (or IT) SIG (or Group) of RCR
We could also add the word multidisciplinary.
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Monday, September 20, 2010 - 10:54 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
The term "Informatics" vs IT (Information Technology).

I have done some thinking about this :-)

To some radiologists, radiographers, lay public etc the term "informatics" maybe confusing, and something they do not understand. IT (which actually means Information Technology) is clear to everyone.

1. The RCR Healthcare IT Group
2. Healthcare IT SIG (of RCR)

Description of our Group ---A multidisciplinary Group of NHS Employees interested in promoting good IT within NHS

However, I would welcome other sugggestions from the other members. We could debate the suggestions at the Autumn Meeting.
 Link to this message Pete Marsh  posted on Monday, September 20, 2010 - 02:14 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
I used to call radiology - XRay, as a Informatics professional I like to be= known for the science I am qualified in.

Pete
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Monday, September 20, 2010 - 03:06 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Pete,

Irrespective of the name of the Group, the Group is multidisciplinary & will continue to comprise of various professions--radiologists, radiographers, Informatics Professionals (like yourself), PACS Managers, etc etc. I do belive that is where the strenghth of the Group lies---the multi-disciplinary nature of the Group.
 Link to this message Michael Fudge  posted on Monday, September 20, 2010 - 04:37 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
While Wikipedia doesn't always have the answers, in the case of the meaning of Teleradiology it seems pretty much spot on to me for what is discussed in this forum. (It's as if someone from this forum authored it!)
 Link to this message William Saywell  posted on Monday, September 20, 2010 - 06:16 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
> > > I don't think *teleradiology* fully covers our work. > We do consider teleradiology as defined in wikipedia - and some of the info sharing standards work could come within this remit, but what about order-comms, and local PACS and RIS functionality, to name but 2?

William

> >
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 08:30 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Many of you will have noted the change in our name once again.
"UK Imaging Informatics Group"
This was discussed at the members meeting at EHI Live 2011. RCR Special Interest Groups normally do not have RCR within their names. RCR requested we do the same. So whilst we will remain a SIG of the RCR, our name will be "UK Imaging Informatics Group". I do think this is a better name anyway, as it reflects the multi-disciplinary nature of the Group and also defines as a UK based group with an NHS belonging.

Thank you Rhidian for sorting this out at such short notice.
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 03:36 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Many of you may not have got the email from this message so I am posting it again.

Many of you will have noted the change in our name.
This was discussed at the members meeting at EHI Live 2011. RCR Special Interest Groups normally do not have RCR within their names. RCR requested we do the same. So whilst we will remain a SIG of the RCR, our name will be "UK Imaging Informatics Group". I do think this is a better name anyway, as it reflects the multi-disciplinary nature of the Group and also defines as a UK based group with an NHS belonging.

Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Monday, December 12, 2011 - 03:42 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Many of you may not have got the email from this message so I am posting it again.

Many of you will have noted the change in our name.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: