UK Imaging Informatics Group
Autumn 2011 Meeting --7th Nov EHI Live PreviousNext
UK Imaging Informatics Group > News & Comment > PACS Group Notices >
EHI Live 2011Autumn PACS & Teleradiology Meeting 2011

The group meeting will be co-located with EHI Live 2011 on Monday 07 November 2011 at The NEC, Birmingham

Conference Programme and Registration
Subtopic Last Post Last Poster Posts
Archive through November 21, 201121-11-11  09:23 pmNeelam Dugar20

Message/Author
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 03:26 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
10.20. Culling DICOM data (What customers need to understand about data lifecyle management) ---Mr. Shannon Werb (Acuo Technologies)

Shannon is right. There is no magic solution at the moment. Data culling or purging (as they call it in the US) issue is complex & requires supplier & user co-operation.

I personally think 2013 replacements will have solutions offered by ALL vendors. It is upto customers to put it in the PQQ, ITT etc of their OJEU process.

ICOM is mentioned by Shannon. Although IOCM as standard does not directly help sort the issue, it is an important one. It will ensure that if you cull data in your primary PACS archive, there is a standard for inform a back-up VNA/Datacentre from a different vendor--- that images have been culled--so that copies can be culled too.
application/pdf10.20. Culling DICOM data (What customers need to understand about data lifecyle management) ---Mr. Shannon Werb (Acuo Technologies)
shannon werb Data.pdf (548.6 k)
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 07:53 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
10.40. Culling DICOM data---Is there a role for standards? —. Dr. Dave Harvey (IHE-UK)

There are currently no standards with DICOM or IHE. However, as Dave says this maybe something standards bodies need to think about.
application/pdf10.40. Culling DICOM data---Is there a role for standards? —. Dr. Dave Harvey (IHE-UK)
4 -Harvey Culling DICOM.pdf (92.4 k)
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 07:48 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
11.30 A storage agnostic PACS –How will PACS meet the clinical performance target---SLAs needed from the enterprise storage vendor, network provider & display hardware— Mr. Mathew Chondron (McKesson)

This is an excellent presentation from Mathew Chondron.
Main message is keep it simple & use standards.
Irrespective of the PACS vendor you choose to work with there is sensible advise on what to define & what to expect.
application/pdf11.30 A storage agnostic PACS –How will PACS meet the clinical performance target---SLAs needed from the enterprise storage vendor, network provider & display hardware— Mr. Mathew Chondron (McKesson)
Storage agnostic PACS - Condron v2.pdf (2345.2 k)
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 07:48 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
11.30 A storage agnostic PACS –How will PACS meet the clinical performance target---SLAs needed from the enterprise storage vendor, network provider & display hardware— Mr. Mathew Chondron (McKesson)

This is an excellent presentation from Mathew Chondron.
Main message is keep it simple & use standards.
Irrespective of the PACS vendor you choose to work with there is sensible advise on what to define & what to expect.
application/pdf11.30 A storage agnostic PACS –How will PACS meet the clinical performance target---SLAs needed from the enterprise storage vendor, network provider & display hardware— Mr. Mathew Chondron (McKesson)
Storage agnostic PACS - Condron v2.pdf (2345.2 k)
 Link to this message Roger Searjeant  posted on Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 07:28 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Neelam - may I have permission to send your presentation (futureproofPACSkeynote-58647.pdf) to a few colleagues, properly acknowledging the source and with a URL back to this forum?

To explain my interest (and reason for this request): I'm a solution architect on a RIS / PACS project. Your presentation nicely summarises the PACS + EPR story and introduces the concepts of CDA and XDS. These are all things I'd like to get across to colleagues. And coming from this forum, your document has authority.
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 09:22 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
By all means Roger. The whole purpose of the posting these presentations is to educate the community--both the vendor & user community. The digital world is a world of collaboration in my view.

I havent got Jamie Clifton's presentation--Hope to get it tomorrow. So I will post the next presentation.

11.50 Emerging enterprise storage technologies to support a PACS vendor deliver the clinical performance target for large datasets from radiology—
12.10. Mr. Ken Waldbillig (EMC)

Ken introduces the concept of "private cloud"--locally hosted data. I think NHS IT departments need to take enterprise storage management seriously. I do believe that in future PACS storage will not remain isolated as it is today--it will form part of the enterprise storage. However, much will depend on IT departments wanting to manage storage themselves.
application/pdf11.50 Emerging enterprise storage technologies to support a PACS vendor deliver the clinical performance target for large datasets from radiology— Mr. Ken Waldbillig (EMC)
ken.pdf (3086.4 k)
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 05:15 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
12.30. Understanding the jargon——Mr. Martin Peacock (Inflection Technologies)

Martin concentrates on 2 terms--Zero-Footprint viewers & Data Deduplication

I think Zero-footprint viewers are what will be the future. We have all seen problems with viewers that are dependent on java, etc and their problems when other software used in hospital is dependent on a different version of the same plug-in. HTML5 based viewers will be the future.

Thank you Martin for another useful presentation.
application/pdf12.30. Understanding the jargon——Mr. Martin Peacock (Inflection Technologies)
Martin Peacock.pdf (2905.3 k)
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 10:14 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
12.30. Understanding the jargon——Mr. Martin Peacock (Inflection Technologies)

Martin has kindly sent the script that goes with his presentation.
text/plain12.30. Understanding the jargon——Mr. Martin Peacock (Inflection Technologies)
script.txt (14.9 k)
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Monday, November 28, 2011 - 10:23 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
11.50 Emerging enterprise storage technologies to support a PACS vendor deliver the clinical performance target for large datasets from radiology—
11.50. Mr. Jamie Clifton (Bridegehead)

Jamie talks about optimising your storage technology. How long would one wait to access an email? I agree that IT departments will need to look at PACS as part of the enterprise storage architecture in future.

application/pdf11.50 Emerging enterprise storage technologies to support a PACS vendor deliver the clinical performance target for large datasets from radiology— 11.50. Mr. Jamie Clifton (Bridegehead)
EHI November 2011.pdf (1521.2 k)
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 05:42 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
2.00. Open Standards based EPR incorporating Radiology (XDS, XCA, CDA & XDR concepts)—Mr. Michael LaRocca (Intersystems /Ready Computing)

Excellent presentation by Michael. A very difficult subject to take on. I am grateful to Micheal for his help in developing the XDS metadata document for us. XDR & XDS metadata is critical for NHS to develop plug & play interoperability. Michael did struggle with some of the NHS related healthcare concepts.
 XDS, and XDR for Imaging (Ready Computing).ppsx,application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.presentationml.slideshow2.00. Open Standards based EPR incorporating Radiology (XDS, XCA, CDA & XDR concepts)—Mr. Michael LaRocca (Intersystems)
EHI Live 2011 -- CDA (1762.1 k)
 Link to this message Richard Perriss  posted on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 09:31 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Am I the only one struggling to display this presentation? All I'm getting is a lot of xml files.
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 09:36 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Richard,
I was unable to pdf the presentation from Michael. I could open this at home--- but not in the hospital it seems. I will again try to sort it out this evening.

Neelam
 Link to this message Roger Searjeant  posted on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 10:24 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
The presentation from Michael LaRocca was from PowerPoint 2007 and had the wrong file extension. I have managed to open it and save it to ppt format (using LibreOffice!).

See the attached document. Hope this helps.

application/vnd.ms-powerpoint
EHI_Live_2011_--_CDA__XDS__and_XDR_for_Imaging__Ready_Computing_-58680.unk.ppt (1844.2 k)
 Link to this message Richard Perriss  posted on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 11:03 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Thanks.
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 08:06 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
2.20. RIS Migration from HL7 v2 to CDA conversion –Mr. Michael Pawlitz (Karos Health)

This is an excellent introduction to CDA. Even DICOM has moved from SR to CDA adoption. This is the single most important step forward for NHS Informatics Community to take forward. Thank you Michael.
application/pdf2.20. RIS Migration from HL7 v2 to CDA conversion –Mr. Michael Pawlitz (Karos Health)
EHI Live Presentation - MDI & Karos Health FINAL.pdf (1753.8 k)
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 10:36 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
2.40. Why should a modern RIS create & store radiology requests & reports in HL7 CDA architecture—Mr. Brian Ellwood (Soliton IT)

The message Brian is loud and clear--- CDA is the way forward. Migration of RIS becomes much easier. In essence, we move to customer ownership of data (compared to current RIS where data is held in HL7 v2 messages which makes migration of data at the end of contract a formidable task). This is key to future NHS IT innovation.
application/pdf2.40. Why should a modern RIS create & store radiology requests & reports in HL7 CDA architecture—Mr. Brian Ellwood (Soliton IT)
Why should a modern RIS create & store.pdf (2114.9 k)
 Link to this message Ian Judd  posted on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 11:09 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Hi all
I have been asked by a number of customers to try and ease some of the confusion arising from these posts.
All RIS systems hold the data in a database. This is normally optimised for the OLTP (On Line Transactional Processing) activies of a system. All of the RIS systems I have ever seen hold their data as such. Normally with a fairly simple database key table structure of PATIENT - VISIT - PROCEDURE - RESULT. This structure allows data to be stored and found very quickly and efficiently. If you look at your own RIS systems you will almost certainly see a similar type of structure.

HL7 is a messaging structure it is not a database structure. It is purely a method of transmitting data in known data fields to another system. v2 HL7 was the prescursor to the V3 XML style structured documents we are seeing emerge today.

CDA is a structured document type, it is not a OLTP database. It is simply a description of a structured document as clearly shown by some of the previous presentators.

For example within the CRIS database we have a Patient table. It contains the Patient DOB, When we transmit this field out via HL7 v2 its in PID:7, In Scotland using XML it is <DateofBirth>, in CDA it is <birthTime>. All of these come from the Patient.DOB field in CRIS and are translated to the relevant standard by the CRIS interface sub system.

The customer should be asking for compliant systems. The internal database structure of a system like a RIS or a PACS should remain the decision of the supplier. As long as relevant standards are supported fully by that system how the data is held internally is not an issue.

I hope this helps

Cheers
Ian (Commercial Thingymebobs)
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 03:53 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
The important thing for customers is to put CDA in their specifications for RIS replacements.
Most modern RISes will be capable of CDA doc standard.
If radiology report is in CDA format, customer has ownership of that data.
Customer can choose to put CDA doc in a VNA back-up archive.
Customer can index this to XDS registry so that it is part of XDS based EPR.
Customer can use XDR to transmit CDA doc from hospital to GP surgery or another hospital. This is like an email transfer--- but the CDA doc will "slot" into the patients GP "notes" due to the XDR metadata.
Display on PACS also becomes standardised--see below.

Dirco explains this even better
3.00. Supporting the Displayable Report Profile of IHE by RIS & PACS—Mr. Dirco Van Norden (Rogan Delft)
application/pdf3.00. Supporting the Displayable Report Profile of IHE by RIS & PACS&#151;Mr. Dirco Van Norden (Rogan Delft)
RCR Autumn meeting 07-11-2011 - Rogan-Delft.pdf (3165.4 k)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: