UK Imaging Informatics Group
Autumn 2012 Group Meeting PreviousNext
UK Imaging Informatics Group > News & Comment > PACS Group Notices >
Subtopic Last Post Last Poster Posts
Archive through October 30, 201230-10-12  09:54 pmNeelam Dugar20

Message/Author
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2012 - 08:03 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Excellent Meeting yesterday. I would like to thank all speakers for giving up their valuable time for us.
Thank you to all delegates. Also thanks to the organisers-EHI. I will be posting speaker presentations, as I get permission to do so.
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Friday, November 16, 2012 - 11:43 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
9.45 Standards for Image & Report Sharing for Tele-radiology & EPR—Update on Canada Infoway & US HIE? Dr. Peter Bak (Professor Medical Imaging Informatics)—KEYNOTE SPEAKER SUPPORTED BY EHI

We are grateful to Dr. Bak for coming all the way to present to our Group.

With regards to where Dr. Bak places his bet for the future (I would agree with him)
1. XDS-I
2. WADO
3. Formats--DICOM, CDA R2

application/pdfDr. Bak--Standards Update
Update on Standards v1.pdf (2500.4 k)
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Monday, November 19, 2012 - 09:17 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
10.40 Radiology reports—choosing the right document standard (CDA, pdf or other)- Mr. Charles McCay (Laitek-UK)

application/pdf10.40 Radiology reports—choosing the right document standard (CDA, pdf or other)- Mr. Charles McCay (Laitek-UK)
EHImccay.pdf (67.2 k)
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Thursday, November 22, 2012 - 10:39 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Regional Approach to Night-time Teleradiology-Dr. Nicola Strickland (Consultant Radiologist—Imperial College London)

Nicola is right. The current NHS practices for radiology on-call is out-dated, expensive & unsustainable in the future. National initial funding to start a collaborative approach to on-call is essential (similar to out-of-hours GP funding).
application/pdfRegional Approach to Night-time Teleradiology-Dr. Nicola Strickland (Consultant Radiologist—Imperial College London)
N.Strickland.pdf (2488.6 k)
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 - 05:49 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
11.50 Plug & play standard for Teleradiology—XDR-I—Dr. Dave Harvey (IHE-UK)

If we are really going to have a multi-vendor tele-radiology plug & play model in the UK (not just limited to Sectra & IEP) PACS vendors really need to consider XDR-I as a standard very seriously.

I would emphasise that current on-call solutions in NHS are unsustainable in the future. Collaborative working models suggested by Nicola will happen sooner or later. If PACS vendors do not take XDR-I standard seriously we will have no option but to choose IEP only to deliver this.

Dave summaries very well.
"Grand Schemes for centralised systems have largely “died”
Point to Point has made a comeback
Good old Teleradiology with a twist!
Standardised meta-data could ease transition for teleradiology and other disciplines
Will vendors adopt it?"

Thank you Dave, once again an excellent presentation.
application/pdf11.50 Plug & play standard for Teleradiology—XDR-I—Dr. Dave Harvey (IHE-UK)
Dave Harvey.pdf (120.9 k)
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 09:42 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
12.10. VNA supporting XDR-I for Teleradiology –Mr. Shannon Werb (Acuo Technologies)

Shannon & Dave are some of the visionaries who have promoted standards like XDS & XDR. Adoption of XDS/XDS-I & XDR/XDR-I within VNAs have pushed PACS vendors to adopt standards too & to include non-DICOM objects--CDA, pdf etc within their VNAs.

Shannon's support of XDR-I standard as a credible VNA vendor is very re-assuring for the user community.
application/pdf12.10. VNA supporting XDR-I for Teleradiology –Mr. Shannon Werb (Acuo Technologies)
Shannon Werb.pdf (11808.4 k)
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 09:48 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
12.30 XDR for radiology report transport to GP surgeries—(as documents)—Mr. Jamie Clifton (BridgeHead Software)

Jamie too identifies consistent metadata adoption by NHS as a whole as the key element to improving radiology report transfer to GP systems. Support of XDS & XDR by yet another large VNA vendor is very re-assuring.

"Sending Reports to GP’s
• XDS is a good, efficient solution to this
– Infrastructure and meta data are the key barriers to adoption
(outside of radiology)
• Its isn’t XDS vs XDR
• (My view) The hospital will have to set up full XDS infrastructure
• Reasons for using XDR
– in the transition to XDS (including limited meta data)
– Support for ‘sneaker net’
– The push model that XDR uses may be more appropriate"
application/pdf12.30 XDR for radiology report transport to GP surgeries—(as documents)—Mr. Jamie Clifton (BridgeHead Software)
Jamie Clifton.pdf (1514.6 k)
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Saturday, December 01, 2012 - 07:35 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
1.50. VNA for indexing & storing DICOM & non-DICOM objects-Mr. Peter Lange (IBM-Europe)

Some very important comments from Peter about Objects stored in VNA

Non-DICOM Objects
• Strip to the native format
• Follow open standards
• JPEG,JFIF,PDF,MPEGetc
• Avoid properitary formats
• True vendor neutral format
• Make available as non-DICOM

application/pdf1.50. VNA for indexing & storing DICOM & non-DICOM objects-Mr. Peter Lange (IBM-Europe)
VNA for indexing & storing DICOM & non-DICOM objects - Peter Lange - IBM.pdf (1197.8 k)
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 10:12 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
2.30. Adding scanned paper documents to Enterprise XDS VNA—Mr. Ton van den Hoven (PACSGEAR)

We are very familiar with "DICOMising" images to send to a PACS system. Middleware like PACSGear have helped in this area. There have now recognised the need to index to XDS registry so as to send documents & images to a VNA.

The workflow that I see is with this kind of middleware would be clinical letters, lab reports etc which can be printed from a hospital system in pdf format going through this kind of middleware and getting a XDS metadata wrapper around it for storage in VNA. This kind of middleware is essential for VNA to be effective as an image & document management system within an enterprise.
application/pdf2.30. Adding scanned paper documents to Enterprise XDS VNA—Mr. Ton van den Hoven (PACSGEAR)
Ton van den Hoven IHE Live -2012-11-06.pdf (5056.8 k)
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Monday, December 10, 2012 - 08:53 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
2.50. Procurement & Exit Clause for Enterprise VNA—Mr. Tony Corkett (Cloud 21)

Tony has been involved for a long time with Trusts helping them with handling their procurement processes & helping Trusts write out contracts for PACS & RIS. He has a lot of expertise in this area. Pre-nuptual agreement in the form of an exit strategy is essential for any Trust replacing their PACS--whether through Framework or OJEU.
application/pdf2.50. Procurement & Exit Clause for Enterprise VNA—Mr. Tony Corkett (Cloud 21)
Tony Corkett EHI 2012.pdf (550.3 k)
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 09:47 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
3.30. Competitive Dialogue OJEU & Framework Agreement for PACS & RIS—Mr. Andrew Daly (Procurement Lawyer--Hempsons)

We are grateful to Andrew for attending our meeting to give advice on procurement law with regards to OJEU & Framework. There are pearls of wisdom here. The main advice is about fairness & equitable treatment of suppliers. Those of us who have been through the process understand the importance of this advice. Good procurement principles must be followed.
application/pdf3.30. Competitive Dialogue OJEU & Framework Agreement for PACS & RIS—Mr. Andrew Daly (Procurement Lawyer--Hempsons)
Birmingham 061112.pdf (152.0 k)
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 06:46 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
3.50. PACS & RIS Procurement—How we did it—Dr. Neelam Dugar (Group Chairman)

application/pdf3.50. PACS & RIS Procurement—How we did it—Dr. Neelam Dugar (Group Chairman)
PROCUREMENT.pdf (17349.3 k)
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2012 - 09:09 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
4.10. PACS & RIS Procurement --a suppliers perspective---Mr. Bob Childe (Phillips Healthcare)

Bob is right. Suppliers also have to choose whether to make a bid or not to bid. There is work for both customers & suppliers. However, I do believe that NHS Trusts need to get experiance in IT systems procurement. Changing RIS & PACS suppliers is the only way of keeping systems up-to-date & also hardware up-to-date.
application/pdf4.10. PACS & RIS Procurement --a suppliers perspective---Mr. Bob Childe (Phillips Healthcare)
Informatics Presentation 061112.pdf (1469.4 k)
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 - 10:06 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
4.30 Changing PACS Supplier—Lessons learnt—Mrs. Maxine Clarke (PACS Manager—NHS)

Norwich have recently changed their PACS supplier. Change is always difficult. However, changing IT systems--RIS, PACS etc is key to ensuring that there is innovation. We must get used to this & improve our processes for changing. Some pearls of wisdom from Maxine.
application/pdf4.30 Changing PACS Supplier—Lessons learnt—Mrs. Maxine Clarke (PACS Manager—NHS)
changing your pacs supplier 2012 2.pdf (678.7 k)
 Link to this message Alexandra  posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 08:11 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Maxine,
that was an excellent presentation. Well done!

Warm Regards,

Alexandra
 Link to this message Martin Peacock  posted on Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 10:00 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Indeed Maxine's presentation is full of wisdom. My own two-penneth:

"Agree mutual project plan expectations": Target RoI should be agreed up front and quantifiable where possible. Thats not always as easy as it can be in other industries, as HIMSS is addressing (although, being HIMSS, its a little US-parochial, but a valuable categorisation). Fuller reports here.

"Business Continuity": Remember BC isn't just about Disaster Recovery. Disruption can take many forms that have nothing to do with hardware being 'up' or 'down'.

"Expect the unexpected": As Helmuth von Moltke the Elder said - "no plan of operations extends with any certainty beyond the first contact with the main hostile force" - you need agility to deal with the unexpected.

"Assume things will fail": 'Cos something will. You just don't know what.

"Do not take advantage of your techies": 100% agree with that! :-)
 Link to this message Sharron Dyce  posted on Monday, August 17, 2015 - 10:07 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Will there be a PACSgroup meeting at EHI live this Autumn?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: