UK Imaging Informatics Group
Webinar: 10 Strategic Considerations ... PreviousNext
UK Imaging Informatics Group > News & Comment > PACS Group Notices >
Message/Author
 Link to this message John Mccann  posted on Thursday, April 25, 2013 - 12:23 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
<--- Commercial Interest Declared --->

Hi all,

Procuring a VNA is perceived by some as a bit of a 'minefield'. Many Trusts continue to seek guidance and information when it comes to developing their business and functional requirements in relation to a VNA.

This webinar, from BridgeHead Software, offers some insight into some of the strategic factors that hospitals might consider when defining the scope for their VNA and setting out their specifications.

We'll explore some of the drivers and motivations for the different functional areas of the hospital, whether clinical, IT or the business. We will also cover some of the pitfalls that can be avoided when the right questions are asked.

To register, please visit: www.bridgeheadsoftware.com/campaigns/webinar_vnaspec

We hope you find this of interest and are able to attend.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me on: john.mccann@bridgeheadsoftware.com or call me on 01372 2219725.

Best regards.

John

application/pdf
BridgeHead_VNA_Webinar_May_2013_Flyer.pdf (201.3 k)
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Sunday, April 28, 2013 - 03:17 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
I agree John.

Trusts need to be very clear in what they wish to achieve with VNA. They should not just duplicate PACS function.

This is what we hope to achieve with VNA
1. Data Migration at end of new PACS/VNA contract--We will be able to migrate the data with the tools for migration available in VNA. The data will be held in standard formats--DICOM, CDA wrapped Pdf etc & SQL compliant database
2.Data Lifecycle Management--ability to cull data based on rules. Ability to communicate with PACS systems when data is culled
3. Enterprise image & Document index & storage (Enterprise EPR) due to XDS--This would allow for sharing of documents & images with other departments & development of a "clinical Portal" concept for every departmental system.
4. Future--allow for image & document sharing with other organisations --point to point sharing using XDR. Other hospitals, GP surgeries etc
 Link to this message Shaun Smale  posted on Monday, April 29, 2013 - 01:02 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Hi Neelam,
You missed out one of the more important requirements ‘Vendor Neutral’. It is important not to be locked into expensive, inflexible, service contracts and storage solutions. A Vendor Neutral Archive should be both hardware and application agnostic; maximising the use of existing IT assets, designed for a mixed economy of hardware and, most importantly, be able to take full advantage of new technologies and cost effective solutions. The VNA should facilitate the change of an application without the need to move all the data files. For 1st generation PACS, only the meta-data (including file pointers) should need to be migrated. For future generations of PACS, one would hope that they would be able to query and retrieve from one or more repositories, and publish updates to a registry, rather than having a file pointer to every file in the VNA.

Best Regards,
Shaun Smale
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2013 - 08:19 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Thanks Shaun.
I agree. VNA is about customer ownership of data & "data fluidity". Key to ownership is standards compliance.
1. DICOM part 10
2. CDA
3. Sql compliant databases with common metadata-XDS
Ability to change VNA vendor is important too. Concepts keep evolving but data needs to be available & able to be migrated to new hardware & accessed by new display software.
Vendor neutrality is through adopting of standards that are common to the vendor community in my view.
Data should not be locked in my VNA vendor.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: