UK Imaging Informatics Group
System Administrator Job Description PreviousNext
UK Imaging Informatics Group > Questions & Answers > PACS Procurement & Business Cases >
Subtopic Last Post Last Poster Posts
Archive through June 14, 200614-06-06  11:27 amSara Clark15

Message/Author
 Link to this message Richard Mann  posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 11:28 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Mark,

Working up job descriptions and getting them through the local AFC process is certainly a tedious process - but necessary. They offer the opportunity to tailor your PACS/RIS support and management to suit your own local circumstances - and hopefully make best use of the staff you already have.

I'm not generally a fan of CFH's "one size fits all" mentality, and I suspect the same criticism would apply to a generic job description.

Some of the (real-world) JD's posted here have been very useful as a source of ideas, though.

regards,
Richard
 Link to this message Richard Bulmer  posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 08:14 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Hi,
Just to let you know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel - I have recently been upgraded from a band 7 to 8A after going through the JAQ process. Although it is not all good news the process took 6 months from my initial request for review. I would push anyone who is looking after both PACS and RIS to go for a JAQ process as it enables you to get the correct points for the actual tasks you are required to do day to day. If anyone would like to have a copy of my JD to contact me and I will send it through.
 Link to this message Beverley Stagg  posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 01:52 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
We would be very keen to see your JD if you are willing to share it please. I tried to email you directly but it says your limit today has been exceeded so I suspect everyone is asking for it!
 Link to this message Stephen Morris  posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 02:40 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
I would be very interested in seeing this too if possible. Im currently creating my Job outline and could do with some pointers!!!

Regards, Stephen.
 Link to this message Richard Bulmer  posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 02:48 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Hi Stephen,
Due to a number of requests - I have attached my JD to this post in case anyone would like to use it.

I hope it is helpful.

Thanks
Richard.
PACS/RIS System Manager Job Description
new PACS System Manager_JD_51.doc (48.1 K)
 Link to this message Richard Bulmer  posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 06:48 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
It seems that the document doesn't want to download - so I have tried uploading it again.

Richard.

application/mswordJD
new PACS System Manager_JD_51.doc (48.1 k)
 Link to this message Sandy Muir  posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 10:39 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Richard,

That looks very much like my job description, but the matching outcome has been totally different.

Do you have any idea how you scored in the various areas of the profile?

Sandy
 Link to this message Richard Bulmer  posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 11:26 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Hi Sandy,
I am still waiting for my job match report but I will let you know if I get it.

Richard.
 Link to this message Gareth Goff  posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 11:22 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Being a Band 8a. Are there any constrictions on working overtime / on-call and getting on-call / overtime payment?
 Link to this message Paul Martindale  posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 12:16 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
I am a Band 8a and I do not get overtime. However you are still only contracted to work 37.5 hours a week. My trust (or more accurately the AfC Terms and Conditions group)have agreed that in circumstances when you have to work more then the contracted times you can have time off in lieu or if you cannot take that time they will give basic pay.
 Link to this message Audrey Fitzgerald Price  posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 09:03 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Hi,

I'm only new to this website but have just looked at this job description and one interesting thing I have noticed is the amount of admin staff.

We are currently in the process of moving to a PAC's system but we reckon that our administration allocation will diminish. We currently have 36 staff but will reduce to around 26 with an average yearly total exams of 150, 000. Is this insufficient? 32 staff for 120, 000 big difference.

Tks
Audrey
 Link to this message Ann Crowe  posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 09:32 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
[It depends a bit on your workflow: we have a higher annual turnover of exa= ms than you indicate, but part of our workflow is to report using dynamic V= R, also we have gradually reduced reliance on locum radiologists who dictat= ed & had their reports typed - which reduced the input required from Typis= ts. Also the amount of wallet pulling for clinics/ filing hard copy etc wi= ll diminish++ after a few months - which was a significant clerical workloa= d for us. Over 20 months, we have reduced our clerical staff by nearly as = many as you propose, with no detriment to service. Luckily we had staff on = short fixed term contracts & Bank staff, so the effect on permanent staff w= as less traumatic. It is important to keep staff involved in the workforce = planning; & perhaps be a little cautious initially regarding staff savings = expected. ]
 Link to this message Chris Chew  posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 09:45 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
I only hope you have a strong PACs support team working for you as your work load might increase over time.
 Link to this message Audrey Price  posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 11:20 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Hi,

Thanks for your replies. We are hoping to use VR fully and the other savings of posts is from the film sorting, retrieving, writing up etc. We have put in to increase our appointment makers and receptionists, just that I got a bit of a fright that we were underestimating. We are in the process of setting up a work force planning group and looking at skill sets of staff.

Did any of you need an increase of staff initially?
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 11:55 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Audrey,

If you are planning to use VR:
1. Make sure your department has made provision for loss of productivity by reporting radiologists (particularly in the initial one year)
2. Make sure you provide in-house admin support for VR. All the people, I have spoken to regarding success of VR and echoed the same thing--training and support is crucial if VR is going to be successful. Trusts who do not make provision for this often spend a lot of money on this and do not get the benefits.

Please note that these comments are based on what I have heard and we have discussed in this forum. I do not have experience on this personally.
 Link to this message Ann Crowe  posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 12:53 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
[No, we had limited recent recruitment to fixed term contracts & bank staff= as it was predicted that we would drop staff numbers once PACS was live: = the staff investment in wallet handling is large, so it was more a redistri= bution of skills, rather than needing more staff/ reducing staff. Staff wer= e less traumatised than they expected!]
 Link to this message Adam Davis  posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 01:36 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
In reference to Neelam's response, our initial drop in productivity by radiologists was only for a matter of a few weeks before productivity surpassed pre VR levels. Further details are available in my profile. You will require a lot of support from RIS/PACS team members as well as NIMIS/McKesson support at go live. We had a fair bit of reallocation of staff, both clerical and darkroom, in their duties and some moved from radiology altogether. Have you joined the Irish PACS Users group Audrey? They can be quiet at times but questions are usually answered by a few of the PACS managers throughout Ireland.
 Link to this message Audrey Price  posted on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 02:15 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Hi Adam,

Thanks for that, I didn't even realise there was an Irish PACS Users group.

I'll check this out.
 Link to this message Blue Sky  posted on Saturday, January 07, 2012 - 10:04 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Hi,

Thank very much for your comment. It help me to think about for my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.
 Link to this message Blue Sky  posted on Friday, January 13, 2012 - 01:09 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Apart from that, you also can ref more resources at:http://www.humanresources.hrvinet.com/system-administrator-job-description/

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: