UK Imaging Informatics Group
RIS data migration PreviousNext
UK Imaging Informatics Group > Questions & Answers > PACS Procurement & Business Cases >
Message/Author
 Link to this message David Stephen Evans  posted on Monday, January 09, 2006 - 04:17 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
I have heard from a number of sources that many Trusts are not planning on migrating their current RIS data to their new or upgraded RIS. Although some of the reasons for not migrating are obvious (eg hassle and cost of cleansing data and merging film packets), I would be interested to know the reasons behind decisions not to migrate and who in your organisation has taken this decision? Has this been a non-contraversial decision in your Trust?

More importantly, I would be interested in knowing how such Trusts plan on tracking old films and accessing previous reports. What processes will be in place to trigger someone (who?) to go to the old RIS to find previous reports and film tracking numbers. What contingencies will Trusts put in place to cover an old RIS suffering a catastrophic failure whilst, potentially, no longer being fully maintained?

Those Trusts that have made the decision to migrate their RIS data, can you give some idea how ‘clean’ the data was pre-cleansing (e.g. number and percentage of duplicate records, NHS number covereage) and how effective have the cleansing procedures actually been? What percentage of your records did you finally get or expect to get onto your new or upgraded RIS?

Cheers,

David.
 Link to this message Richard Sawyer  posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 07:45 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
We feel that it is functionally mad to loose access to all your recent records and went to great lengths to clean, merge and format names before our not that distant Misys RIS go live. I did this myself using Foxpro and 1:took every single report and patient from the old system. 2: Merged internally using 4 matching fields 3: Took all 2 million PAS records 4: Formatted all names identically, hyphens, apostrophes etc 5: Matched the PAS against National NHS number tracing 6: Merged Radiology into PAS and then merged internally again 7: Gave a readily recognisable number to all patients that I couldn't match to a hospital/NHS number 8: Converted relational structure into MUMPS format 9: uploaded data, monitoring rejects usually around unacceptable characters in numerical fields eg in telno 10: kept my fingers crossed on go live 2 days later 11 went on holiday 12 uploaded rest of data 4 weeks later as existing work in the system was reported on old RIS. This was tricky 13 put a bill in for £7500 when apparant that it all worked perfectly 14 bought a boat!

The old RIS data remains on a PC in the dept for statistical analysis requested about twice a year but the loss of 70,000 duplicate patients and ready access from our current RIS makes me wish I'd charged more....

Richard
 Link to this message Audrey Price  posted on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 09:25 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
HI Richard,

How long did this exercise take to cleanse the data. I assume your from an IT background. We have been looking at our data and it is clear from this that patient's will have to contacted to verify some of the duplications.

Audrey

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: