UK Imaging Informatics Group
Modality integration costs PreviousNext
UK Imaging Informatics Group > Questions & Answers > PACS Procurement & Business Cases >
Message/Author
 Link to this message David Stephen Evans  posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 10:39 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
How much are Trusts putting into PACS business cases to cover modality integration with PACS?
Although I realise that the cost will vary greatly depending on the work or upgrades that are required, I am hoping someone who has already implemented PACS will be able to provide a per-modality indicative cost.
Ideally, these costs would come via discussions with vendors, but it is proving difficult to get some of them to provide this data.

Cheers,

David.
 Link to this message Nigel M Morris  posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 11:01 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
We spent up to 250k to upgrade our modalities - admittedly we are a large department and have some very old equipment - it still came as quite a shock and some of the modalities although upgraded and linked, will not provide full function e.g. an angiography unit will send images to PACS but the annotations are lost - we are still printing film on this unit as it is too great a clinical risk to send without the annotations, we feel.
 Link to this message David Stephen Evans  posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 11:15 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Thanks for this. Out of interest, what did this cover? Radiology only? I know its a rough and probably useless figure, but what was the approximate cost per modality?

From those vendors that have provided info to date, the costs have varied from 1K for man-time to 15K to buy a new software module. I am currently assuming a 10K per modality indicative cost but am concerned that even this may prove to be optimistic.

Cheers,

David.
 Link to this message Nigel M Morris  posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 11:37 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
This was only within Radiology.

The prices ranged from typically 2k for an ultrasound machine to 25k to the said angiography unit which doesn't function fully - this was the most expensive upgrade and sort of added insult to injury as it is the same 'make' as our PACS system!!
 Link to this message Paul Srodzinsky  posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 11:46 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
It also depends on what level of connectivity you require. We were quoted 5k for basic worklist and image send on one piece of kit , but MPPS on it was an extra 35k. We also replaced a couple of bits of equipment that were near the end of their life sooner rather than later to ensure better integration. Most of our equipment is Siemens and it integrated with very few problems.
 Link to this message Dave Harvey  posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 12:06 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
What "annotations" are you losing - basic patient/exam details, or added = lines, comments etc. ?

As far as basic information is concerned, this should NOT be "burnt-in" = to the data sent to PACS - it is the responsibility of the application = doing any subsequent display/printing to add those (or not as you may = make them for teaching etc.), according to your wishes, using data from = the rest of of the DICOM elements.

If you are talking lines etc., then ideally they should be in a separate = presentaiton state, but as a fallback, they could be in a separate = "Overlay" section of the DICOM data, which would (again) allow a = compentent workstation to display or print as you request. If you can = get an example out into file form, feel free to send me a copy (via = private mail of course!) for me to look at and analyse.
 Link to this message Margaret Cosens  posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 08:48 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
We're not PACS yet, but have had a lot of pre-PACS visits to enable DICOM on the modalities. We have paid anywhere between 3k and in one case 23k. The one that made me swallow my bubblegum was just under 20k for an image intensifier.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: