UK Imaging Informatics Group
C4H and IHE PreviousNext
UK Imaging Informatics Group > Questions & Answers > PACS Integration & Standards >
Message/Author
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 10:53 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Dear Dave and Rhidian,
We have all been aware of your contribution to spreading the good word of IHE to C4H. It was reassuring to hear that c4H have mandated IHE. But what does it mean to the end-user like me. SWF and PIR are the cornerstones of IHE. For SWF to be achieved there needs to be major change in the contracts, RIS needs to be IHE compliant and needs to communicate directly with the modalities by providing DMWL. As long as we remain contractually bound with PACS brokers providing DMWL, there remains little need for RISes to be IHE compliant and in this non-competitive market, there is little incentive/business drivers for RIS companies to develop their products to be IHE compliant.
 Link to this message Dave Harvey  posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 03:26 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Neelam,

I think that everyone agrees that there are deficiencies in the original contracts, and certainly more needs to be done to ensure that the systems delivered actually conform to IHE, rather than having excuses from vendors about why they DON'T have IHE conformance! I am now working as a consultant to CfH specifically to try to clarify and enforce the IHE requirements, so that the systems delivered not only work better initially, but are also properly interfaced to allow upgardes/swap-out in the future (which is after all one of the primary objectives of IHE based procurement).

It's a big task, with multiple issues to handle (at least once for each LSP!), but I am now getting started, so I hope to make a real improvement soon.

Dave
 Link to this message Ivan Brown  posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 04:31 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Hi Dave,

Congratulations on receipt of this particular poison chalice!

Just for the sake of clarification, numerous system providers are insisting that even where they are not IHE compliant they are "NCRS spine compliant".

Is this true or just another attempt to muddy the waters and what is the true relationship of IHE and NCRS compliance?
 Link to this message Dave Harvey  posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 04:39 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
NCRS & IHE compliance are actually quite separate and independent!

There may be areas where they overlap, but basically, IHE compliance relates to how systems interacts within the radiology department (RIS/PACS/Modality/workstation) functionality, whereas NCRS compliance is how they will interact with the central spine services (PSIS, security services etc.), once those are in place.

Interactions with cluster data stores are a muddy area in the middle, so wish me luck wading into them!
 Link to this message Ivan Brown  posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 06:00 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Thanks Dave, that is what I suspected.

The best of luck. Hope you have a long pair of waders!
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 09:39 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Thanks Dave,

I think most end-users like me are very pleased to hear of your input into CfH. I wish you all the best.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: