UK Imaging Informatics Group
Correct CT/MR scout to axil association PreviousNext
UK Imaging Informatics Group > Questions & Answers > PACS Integration & Standards >
Message/Author
 Link to this message Nick Gibson  posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 - 12:21 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
On our PACS system, in most CT/MR studies when displaying axials, you can click to 'show scout', and the scout (pair of images) is displayed. For a complex / difficult study with many scouts and many axials, viewing an axial clicking 'show scout' displays the correct scout for that axial series, and ONLY that one. i.e. there is an underlying mapping that each axial has an associated scout.

However, studies from some scanners do not behave in this way. Here, if you 'show scout' for any of the axials in a study, ALL the scouts for that study are displayed, in stack mode, the first scout taken being the one initially visible which is usually NOT the correct scout for that axial. i.e correct association between axials and their correspponding scout is not happening. This is particularly a problem if the patient has moved at some point in the study (e.g. supine to prone or off the table and back on again for some reason).

I assume that the PACS is/should be using some of the DICOM data sent by a scanner to make this association correctly.
Can any one advise me as to how this should work? What DICOM elements must be sent by a scanner? Are these mandatory? How should they be interpreted by the PACS?
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 - 11:49 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Nick,
In some PACS systems you can localise an abnormality on the axial images and the the corresponding area gets marked on the coronal and sagital images, by line intersections. This a very useful function especially when reporting lumber/cervical spine MRI. This happens on the Fuji Synapse, Kodak PACS, and GE PACS from my understanding. This functionality was not present on the Agfa Impax (when we saw it on demo). Is this the kind of thing you are talking about?
 Link to this message Richard Harries  posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 06:41 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Neelam We have Agfa Impax and the localisers work quite well in the way you describe. I can't remember if I looked at this on the demo day.
 Link to this message Phil McAndrew  posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 09:33 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
We have problems getting textual information from MRI (Siemens Avanto 1.5T) onto Agfa Impax. It is difficult or impossible to get all the sequence information, or b values for diffusion sequences and some text, or side marking to appear on Impax. Does anyone have any ideas about this?
 Link to this message Jonathan Teece  posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 09:34 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
We have Medview (from Aspyra formerly know as Storcomm) and this too facilitates dynamic scout lines when you move through a series of CT or MRI images. Also the user can chose to display either one or all the lines in whatever plane they need.

Jon
Bournemouth

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: