UK Imaging Informatics Group
Ultrasound......Query/ retrieve/ prin... PreviousNext
UK Imaging Informatics Group > Questions & Answers > PACS Integration & Standards >
Message/Author
 Link to this message Michael Whitmire  posted on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 10:10 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Across the street is a new hospital. It has no film. In fact, the modalities do not have MOD's. That's really great.

However, I am a Pacs retrofitter. I work in the trenches. I need to get people to a filmless position bit by bit.

MR and CT are generally no big deal. PET has some theoretical options. If I can get a vendor to promise it will work, then I can get a center to try it.

But what about Ultrasound? I wanted to throw up on the new Sequoia when I learned it cannot query. The fact that it has a neato hard drive which holds 100 times more studies means zilch. Gee, I can purge it less frequently. Not mention that I have an archive.

You see, I have no way to convert my Pagan U/S Techs unless I promise them they can query my archive server, retrieve a desired exam, and print to film.

Yes, I want to be filmless. You say, "then you need to print to film." You are right. And my Pagan clients are wrong. With that out of the way, how do I accommodate their needs anyway?

Does anyone know of any U/S system--Siemens. GE, anything--that will query? I do not want an Ulta 3D (no space in some cases, not practical in others). Also note that not all of my printers are on the network. Some are MIM's via Coax, you see.

Any ideas?
 Link to this message Rhidian Bramley  posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 08:18 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Transfer the ultrasound images to PACS and view them on a separate PACS workstation. Workflow is better that way as you can query old studies on the PACS whilst the ultrasound assistant helps the next patient on the couch and enters the parameters on the screen. You can't use the ultrasound machine for much else whilst this is happening anyway.

The other advantage of using a separate PACS workstation is that you can view any other relevant examinations the patient may have had such as a chest X-ray if you are assessing an effusion for drainage, or a CT scan if you are tying to further characterise an indeterminate hepatic lesion identified on CT.

The ideal setup is to have a monitor close to the ultrasound machine so you can view selected images from the old examinations whist you are performing the current exam, and also have another workstation in a separate room o you can report your examinations in private whilst the room is being prepared for the next patient.
 Link to this message Tianyi Lin  posted on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 07:29 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
I know GE ultrasound Logiq 7/9 can query/retrieve images.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: