UK Imaging Informatics Group
Modality integration PreviousNext
UK Imaging Informatics Group > Questions & Answers > PACS Integration & Standards >
Message/Author
 Link to this message Adam Davis  posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:26 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Hi folks,

Can someone shed some light on modality integration in regards to MWL operation. My interpretation, possibly incorrect, is that the modality receives patient demographics and examination code as part of MWL refresh/manual update. The RIS examination code, say XR101, will need to be mapped against the equivalent examination code on the modality. For example, a request is made for a Barium meal….RIS knows this as exam code XR101….this is sent to the relevant modality where this is interpreted, via mapping, as modality code 123456 which equates to Barium meal. Is this the case? We are having issues with some vendors in this regard. Has anyone else had such issues or is it purely vendor or engineer dependent?

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this.

Regards,

Adam
 Link to this message Simon Waddington  posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 11:42 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
We too have this issue, particularly with CT and multiple exam request codes. Codes used on RIS are as per national codes but the scanners don't recognise them all.
 Link to this message Ian Judd  posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 12:46 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
I know that most CR vendors load up the mapped catalogues as they install new kit. Agfa, Kodak and Fuji do anyway. I think that they need to map the RIS procedure code against the hardwired procedure processing algorythms inside the CR units. I assume that other modalities do the same. However in a standard DICOM worklist feed both the raw RIS procedure code and the description get sent through if the RIS is providing the worklist. If a broker is providing the worklist this may be doing some mapping (unlikely). You really need to get your modalities synchronised with your RIS/Broker otherwise RIS/Broker will send a message to the modality saying XCHES-Chest and the same to the PACS. You must make sure that the modality does not pervert this to XR104 when it sends the images back to the PACS. Otherwise the images header will not tally with the PACS database entry.
 Link to this message Marco Crispini  posted on Friday, February 08, 2008 - 03:59 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
That's right. It's more to do with processing algorithms than mapping codes per se. A barium exam will have different noise reduction, smoothing, greyscale contour, etc applied than, say, a wrist exam. So the modality needs to know that code XR101 needs processing with settings appropriate for barium meals.
 Link to this message Ishtiaq Hussain Bercha  posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 05:25 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
I am having some issues with the display of DR and CR images on the our new display stations. The dynamic range seems to be reduced on the radiology review stations. There is no processing performed on QC station by the technologist before sending the images to PACS. I will appreciate any pointers on where to start the investigation,.
THanks
---Ishtiaq
 Link to this message Shanton  posted on Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 10:21 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Hi Ishtiaq
what type of display issues are you having with CR,DR Images?What system are you using?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: