UK Imaging Informatics Group
Advantages/Disadvantages of CR/DR?? PreviousNext
UK Imaging Informatics Group > Questions & Answers > Conventional & Digital Radiography (CR & DR) >
Message/Author
 Link to this message Kevin Cook  posted on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 04:11 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Greetings from the United States,

I'm currently working on a project at Radiology School regarding the advantages and disadvantages with CR/DR. I have read the post and reply's to Phill Colls (posted 2/26/03)inquiry about patient dose and would like further information.

As a student we are taught the basics beggining with "old school" radiograghy and how not to over expose the patient when at all possible. We use the term ALARA ( as little as reasonably achievable). Does the panel of experts on this board feel that all film technology will eventually give way to the computer age? I'm aware of all the advantages to switching to this system but are than any other disadvantages to the patient other than a higher dose? Can anyone give me some idea of the cost effectiveness of a regular film cassette to a CR cassette?

Any info the panel can forward with CR/DR and how it eventually affects the patient would be most helpful.
 Link to this message Nick Collett  posted on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 02:17 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
DR is a higher dose? There are a wide range of DR technologies available and most have a lower dose than CR. Make sure you are using the right DR system.
A colleague of mine has carried out a study on the ergonomic and economic comparisons of DR and CR. He can be emailed at :shaun.ward@xograph.com

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: