UK Imaging Informatics Group
Advice on setting SLAs PreviousNext
UK Imaging Informatics Group > Questions & Answers > PACS Procurement & Business Cases >
Message/Author
 Link to this message Andrew Perry  posted on Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 09:34 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Hi,
We are in the process of replacing our RIS/PACS and want to set far more binding SLAs for response times, problem resolution and, most importantly, image quality issues.
Does anyone out there have examples they may have used that we could investigate rather than reinventing the wheel.
If you could send anything you may have to radiology@hhtr.nhs.uk it would be gratefully appreciated

Thanks,

Andrew
 Link to this message David Adcock  posted on Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 09:54 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Have you given any thought on how to measure the response times, so that the SLAs cab be enforced?

In addition, for an effective SLA, in multi-vendor scenarios, it maybe necessary to determine if the deficit has been caused by the software, server or network

I would be more than happy to talk to you about how this can be done in a cost effective manor without these systems in place it is very difficult to be able to hold anyone to account of the SLAs.

Dave Adcock
Nxtera Ltd.
07771 927515 / Dave.adcock@nxtera.co.uk
(Commercial interest declared.)
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 10:37 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Andrew,

I would be grateful if you share your progress on the issue with the Group. Many of us would benefit for other Clinical systems and for replacements due in 2013.

Thanks,

Neelam
 Link to this message Pete Marsh  posted on Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 12:25 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
SLA's and the issue of what you do when breach (penalties?) are of little use in the conventional sense.

LSP's and many service organisations are masters at service management ping pong - you raise a fault, they do there best to lower priority, they will ask for more info, they want more information - i.e. stopping the clock and pushing back to you.

The debacle with LSP's and service delivery (see Fujitsu case) shows how ineffective performance based contracts are - SLA's and penalties never really achieve anything on the any scale. If you revert to lawyers, you end up calling it a draw. I will bet the NHS/FJ case ends up that way.

So what do you do?

It sounds old fashioned, but you need to establish partnerships with your suppliers, you need to get them embedded in your organisation, understand your goals (and you understand their pressure points and don't forget they need to make a reasonable profit, so they hang around). They need to understand your business and be able to add value, they need to understand the criticality of different area's, they should participate in your planning and strategy and offer solutions. It should not be adverserial and if you resort to getting the contract out of the filing cabinet its generally to late. Contracts should be short. It needs a mature no blame attitude on both sides. Penalties should revolve around escalation - if a supplier is not delivering, the penalty is they have to throw more resource at it and a board exec needs to come and explain why to your board.

There are some suppliers out there that can achieve this, but most of it is down to the NHS promoting this sort of relationship.

Pete

Wirral
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 02:23 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
I completely agree with Pete. We need to build partnerships with IT systems suppliers. Margaret and I have been talking about this at length while drawing up the programme for the autumn meeting. As you will see this is on the programme for autumn meeting.

Pete,
I am aware of the contributions that people like you and Margaret have made in developing partnerships with suppliers who worked to develop systems for the NHS. Hopefully lessons will be learnt with the CFH/lSP programme. Hope we will learn from the discussions about how we can build successful partnerships with user groups defining product develment.

US and continental departmental systems are billing centric whereas NHS IT systems are patient centric!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: