UK Imaging Informatics Group
Companies that offer PACS advice PreviousNext
UK Imaging Informatics Group > Questions & Answers > PACS Procurement & Business Cases >
Message/Author
 Link to this message Philip Bearcroft  posted on Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 02:26 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Has anyone had any experience of commissioning an external company or expert to assist with the planning, procurement and implementation of a PACS system in the UK? What sort of sums of money were involved, how helpful were they and are there any pitfalls to avoid? Many thanks.
 Link to this message Tony Corkett  posted on Monday, September 16, 2002 - 08:12 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
In SW London we have used a range of companies to support the process of specifying, procuring and negotiating a PACS contract. The pitfalls include ensureing that both parties fully understand what are your expectations from them, this may seem obvious but it can lead to problems if not 100% clear. Alos some of the work nuts be open ended ie contract negotiation and therefore capping the budget is not easy.

Please feel free to email me or call me and I am happy to discuss this in more detail. Tony,Corkett@swlondonlis.nhs.uk 02086874618
 Link to this message John Pilling  posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 08:55 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
We used an independent consultant to help with contract negotiations and to comment on our specification - Jim Wood - known to any who have attended the H'Smith PACS days. Our greatest expense was on lawyers but that was not surprising since we were trailblazing with a PFI contract. I agree with Tony that using outsiders opens you to the difficulty of ensuring that they understand your project and can get "under the skin" of you department to really appreciate how it works and how it will need to work with PACS. I know of a few PACS installations which have struggled because the Radiology departments have had a "hands off" approach and have expected the PACS supplier to provide for them the perfect solution without substantial local input. Similarly if the IT department lead the PACS procurement they should expect to have intense radiological input if PACS is going to work to the best for the hospital.
 Link to this message David Watson  posted on Thursday, October 03, 2002 - 09:18 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
ECRI is an independent, non profit organisation and a Collaborating Centre of WHO.

We are undertaking a number of PACS Planning Studies both within the UK and at an international level. In addition, we have published comparative evaluation reports on PACS systems that I am sure would be of interest.

Happy to help if required. The contact at ECRI who deals with this is Michael Stewart who can be e.mailed at mstewart@ecri.org.uk
 Link to this message Philip Anthony Templeton, M.d.  posted on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 01:59 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Are all the PACS/RIS companies already selected, such that no other cost-effective options can be considered?
 Link to this message Niranjan Wachasunder  posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 08:27 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Hi, we are a Singapore based company looking for a OEM PACS provider. We are into Healthcare IT.

Please feel free to mail me at niranjan@karishmasoftware.com.

Thanks

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: