UK Imaging Informatics Group
Colour Monitors for new PACS PreviousNext
UK Imaging Informatics Group > Questions & Answers > PACS Procurement & Business Cases >
Subtopic Last Post Last Poster Posts
Archive through June 08, 201108-06-11  01:57 pmDavid Clunie20

Message/Author
 Link to this message Stephen Gallagher  posted on Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 01:45 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
I agree that the 3mp diagnostic colour monitors are certainly the future. It is frustrating then there is a very limited choice of colour monitors on our current PACS catalogue. Although I understand that this may change with the next catalogue release, some finance depts like to plan further ahead in this financial climate with business cases etc, especially where there is an LSP contracted workstation refresh due in my region next year.
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 02:41 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Thanks David for the update.

I agree Stephen. LSP workstation refresh should be refresh with up-to-date technology. If you were refreshing your personal laptop you would not buy a 10year old spec would you.

I do think LSP hardware refresh of diagnostic workstations should have 3MP colour with continuous centralised monitoring.
 Link to this message Steve Braithwaite  posted on Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 03:34 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Just a comment on the amount of memory (RAM)for new workstations: Often software has it's own limitations as to how much memory it can actually utilise. For example I have been told that Impax 6.2 can only use 1.2GB RAM - regardless of how much is installed. We will need to be clear how much can be used by Windows and the client software on the devices to be assured that the memory is sufficient.
 Link to this message David Burns  posted on Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 04:03 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
To add to previous post, trusts should be aware of voice recognition software applications that operate in RAM only. These applications can consume all available memory on the workstation if left unchecked. This should not be overlooked when assessing RAM requirements for the replacement workstations.
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 04:23 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
I agree with Steve & David.

I think we had specified 2 GB RAM on our group specs. and should be delivered as standard for refresh hardware.
 Link to this message Brian Turner  posted on Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 11:02 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
The benefits of a 64-bit architecture are well known but perhaps not so = well understood. A 32-bit OS can address a maximum 232 bits, i.e. = 4,294,967,296 or 4GB. A 64-bit OS theoretically can address 264, i.e. = 18,446,744,073,709,600,000 or 18 billion GB. In other words, a 64-bit OS = is only limited by the amount of physical memory that can be installed = in the workstation.

What is less well understood is that in a 32-bit Windows environment a = workstation with the full 4GB RAM installed reserves around 0.75GB for = hardware by default (BIOS, controllers, graphics cards, etc). If a = graphics card with more than about 256MB RAM is used Windows reserves = more memory accordingly. This is particular important when it comes to = PACS workstations because with a 1GB graphics card, which should be = considered the absolute minimum, more RAM will be reserved and not = available. On top of this, Windows (again by default on a 4GB machine) = allocates 2GB to Windows and a maximum of 2GB per application. It is = possible to change this by activating the so called /3GB switch but the = PACS application would need to be written to access the extra 1GB made = available in this way; most are not. These same limitations apply if the = applications are 32-bit.even if the workstation is running a 64-bit OS=20

=20

What all this means in the real world is that a 32-bit PACS workstation = with 4GB RAM has a maximum of 2GB of RAM available to run PACS, RIS, = Voice Recognition and whatever else. If you consider that a modern = multi-slice CT scan is at least 1GB, and that for best performance the = whole scan should be cached in physical RAM, this clearly barely = provides sufficient headroom even for review, let alone MPR or 3D.=20

=20

So, to sum up, if the PACS application is 32-bit then 4GB is both the = minimum and maximum RAM that MUST be installed. The sky is the limit for = a 64-bit PACS application but 6GB should be considered minimum.
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 09:44 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Brian. Yes, you are right. A quick look amazon at small laptops running windows 7 (costing less than 400) have a 6GB RAM. So RAM must be fairly cheap.

Minimum RAM for a PACS workstations should be 6GB.
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 09:45 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
I hear Accenture is offering diagnostic colour monitors as part of workstation refresh. Good news!!!!
 Link to this message David Bowen  posted on Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 10:01 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Naleem,

This is good news! Do you happen to know if there is an upgrade cost associated with the 'offer' of colour displays, or are they treated as a standard deliverable?
 Link to this message Brian Turner  posted on Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 12:17 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
>=20 >=20 > This is good news for your region. Unfortunately, here in London, we are b= eing forced to use obsolete hardware and software until 2015.=20 >=20 >=20
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 12:26 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
David,
I understand it is standard 3MP monochrome diagnostic will be 3 MP diagnostic colour.

Brian,
I do not know how anyone any provide obsolete "refresh"--it would not qualify as "technology refresh" would it!!
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 05:51 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
I reviewed 3MP diagnostic colour monitors provided by Accenture to evaluate.

My view---definately the way forward. 3MP monochrome is old technology in my view.
 Link to this message Anant Patel  posted on Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 11:58 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Dear Dr Dugar,
Have you a monitor evaluation template that you can share, based on your last post? Or is there one already out there that you can direct me to?
 Link to this message James Heesom  posted on Thursday, April 04, 2013 - 03:41 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
[Spam post removed by Moderator]

(Message edited by alexpeck on April 07, 2014)
 Link to this message James Heesom  posted on Thursday, April 04, 2013 - 07:59 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
I would like to say sorry to the group, I was unware you all would receive all my posts.

Regards,
James Heesom
[URL removed by Moderator]

(Message edited by alexpeck on April 07, 2014)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: