UK Imaging Informatics Group
National Pacs and RIS frameworkeD PreviousNext
UK Imaging Informatics Group > Questions & Answers > PACS Procurement & Business Cases >
Message/Author
 Link to this message David Burns  posted on Monday, October 17, 2011 - 10:27 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
All

NHS Supply Chain has today been granted the final approval to proceed with a national framework for PACS and RIS. All documents will now be finalised and once completed will be released to the OJEU for responses from suppliers.

The framework will consist of PACS / RIS/ work stations/ VNA solutions/ data migration services/ off site hosting/ CR readers/ transcription services
The framework should be available for use in early 2012.

Any trust looking for clarification should contact david.burns@supplychain.nhs.uk
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 12:34 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Dave,

Good news!

Just some questions in my mind-----

1. What kind of RIS & PACS will be provided by the Framework? Will it simply be a " basic vanilla PACS".
2. Will the price be the same from every PACS supplier on the framework? In which case there are likely to be hidden costs which will surface later.
3. If a Trust was to draw up a specification of what they need what will be the process followed? Will this be a fair & transparent process like OJEU?
4. What are the advantages of going for framework vs. OJEU (apart from the scaremongering surrounding OJEU process)
 Link to this message David Burns  posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 12:09 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Hi Neelam

To answer your questions posted above.

1) The PACS and RIS applications will be a core application that as part of the trust order process can be configured to meet the requirements of the trust. This is the same as the breast screening PACS framework.

2) The price will not be the same for each supplier. As part of the trust order process of the framework, I would not expect any unknown costs to be presented.

3) The process will be compliant with all OJEU regulations for frameworks. So yes it will provide transparency, equalility and fairness across the process.

The process to follow depends on the trust; however trusts have 2 options available to it:

Mini competition
Direct call off

Both options will require a local requirements document (Output based specification (OBS)) to start the process.
The result of both processes will be that a single supplier is awarded the contract by the trust. (I'm very happy to clarify these points with trusts directly as required)

4) The timeline has to be the biggest advantage. The framework will follow the full OJEU process to become established. Once established ordering from a framework can take a very short period of time. If a trust goes to OJEU directly then they must follow a defined timeline and then make the award after all the evaluation has taken place. In essence the framework allows trusts to move straight to the evaluation stage while being presented with all the supporting information gathered at the framework stage.

Again I'm very happy to discuss this in detail with any trust either on the phone or in person. Any trust looking for clarity can contact me directly (david.burns@supplychain.nhs.uk)

Thanks

Dave
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 06:14 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Thanks Dave.

I understand the principle that a supplier of the framework (NHS Supply Chain here) will have done the OJEU and will have a number of suppliers will be under that framework.

I am trying to understand the process from here.

Trust provides NHS Supply Chain with an detailed OBS (similar to the Invitation to tender document in the proper OJEU process).
What happens next?
1. Will you match the OBS with a best fit & tell the Trust here is the supplier you take their PACS?
2. Or does the Trust say I would like ABC vendor PACS (in which case where is the fair competition? and how would the Trust know whether they have really got best value?)
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 06:28 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Regards comparison between direct OJEU & Framework

OJEU Process
1. Advert & PQQ
2. Shortlist (PQQ Evaluation)
3. Dialogue & ITT (OBS development)
4. Evaluate Tenders
5. Contract award

What Trusts are really avoiding with the framework is Advert & Shortlisting stage.

Dont get me wrong, I am not trying to put people off the Supply Chain framework. All suppliers I have spoken to are very keen to be on the framework, which speaks volumes for Supply Chain. I think this is excellent. What I am trying to say here is that there are many options for Trusts to consider & choose the process that fits them best.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: