UK Imaging Informatics Group
A Simplified Medical Document format ... PreviousNext
UK Imaging Informatics Group > Questions & Answers > PACS Integration & Standards >
Message/Author
 Link to this message David Clunie  posted on Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 02:28 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
As promised, I have been evaluating alternative approaches to encoding radiology reports, that satisfy the need to convey format content, meta-data, and if available, structured and coded content.

Simple static web pages + semantic markup seem to be the way to go, without relying on any medically-specific standards, just a medical vocabulary.

Details and some primitive examples are provided here:

http://dclunie.blogspot.com/2012/08/a-simplified-medical-document-format.html

It seems that we can very easily get by without the licensing headaches (or the complexity) of CDA.

David
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Monday, August 20, 2012 - 04:11 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Thanks David. This is really excellent.

Looking as a clinical user perspective, it seems exactly what we need. This also allows us to move from medical specific standards to more ubiqutous web standards used in the consumer world. I do believe that is the way to go.Thank you for supporting us.

However, we need RIS, PACS, GP systems, EPRs, VNA, Results reporting systems to recieve & display these radiology reports. How do we specify this in our specification for RIS & PACS replacement--for incorporating this requirement.

Charles McCay will be discussing radiology report standard. I will point him to your blog. I think we are moving ahead with clinical document standards now.

Thanks again.
Neelam
 Link to this message Daniel Fascia  posted on Monday, August 04, 2014 - 08:45 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Using XHTML is a great idea - I would take it further and offer Markdown as an ideal means of authoring a report offering a small and easy to understand subset of reasonable formatting that users could manage.

One comment about your blog post (and I know it was merely an example) is that there are many <section>s and <p>aragraphs for some data which would be more suited to <dl> definition list type structures...

Anyway, I totally support the use of XHTML as a standard for medical documents - the opportunities this gives to re-use data in so many ways via stylesheets is what we need: i.e. one for print, small screen, massive screen, readability, light, dark etc...

I'd love to be involved in the writing/brainstorming of a standard on this if we ever do it as an avid user of xhtml/css and web standards anorak I feel I could offer some help

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: