UK Imaging Informatics Group
DICOM tags mapped to HL7 segments and... PreviousNext
UK Imaging Informatics Group > Questions & Answers > PACS Integration & Standards >
Message/Author
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 10:22 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
It is important that DICOM databases have the correct information in DICOM tags which are updated by Hl7 ADT, ORM and ORU messages. This becomes even more relevant for ensuring that clinical information is intact after migration to the new supplier.
Comments please
 ORM and ORU and DICOM tag agreement 2.pdf,application/pdfDICOM tags & HL7
HL7 ADT (142.1 k)
 Link to this message Herman Oosterwijk  posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2015 - 11:24 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Hi Neelam,

I appreciate your good work, but I would make sure that you don't re-invent the wheel: there is a HL7 mapping to MWL defined as part of IHE, see radiology, TF volume 2, appendix B.

Herman O.
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Thursday, January 08, 2015 - 07:26 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Hi Herman,

The reason for doing this exercise is for VNA (rather than DMWL).

Most Trusts are buying a VNA which will be used for
a. image display via XDS consumer or other DICOM viewers
b. data migration at the end of contract
c. Image transfer via XDR, IEP etc

It is really important that clinical information is present and visible on the display systems when they display from VNA archive.

When images are sent from modalities they do NOT contain the following DICOM tags
1. NHS no
2. patient address
3. Referring Consultant/GP
4. Specialty of the Referring Consultant/GP
5. Reason for cancellation of study
etc
These are very important pieces of clinical information for clinicians managing patients on a day to day basis.

A VNA that takes ADT messages from PAS and HL7 ORM and ORU messages from RIS, will update the DICOM tags with the correct information, so that display systems will be able to display them correctly, and clinicians will have the information they need. For VNAs to be useful they must contain adequate and correct clinically useful clinical information.

I have had some feedback from 2 DICOM experts --who have more knowledge than me. Here is an updated and corrected document.

Any comments and corrections will be very gratefully received.
 ORM and ORU and DICOM tag agreement 2.pdf,application/pdfDICOM tags updated
HL7 ADT (146.0 k)
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Sunday, February 01, 2015 - 04:58 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
I have converted the above document to an easy to understand table mapping NHS clinical terms to HL7 fields and DICOM tags. This will help customers, RIS, PACS and VNA vendors to understand our needs in NHS

Comments please.
application/pdfNHS-HL7-DICOMtags
NHS-HL7-DICOMtagmapping_01022015.pdf (192.7 k)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: