UK Imaging Informatics Group
Enterprise XDS VNA vs Regional DICOM VNA PreviousNext
UK Imaging Informatics Group > Questions & Answers > PACS Procurement & Business Cases >
Message/Author
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2016 - 06:09 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
VNA has become a fairly mature technology since we started discussing VNAs on the forum in 2010. It hasnt been around for very long.

NHS Trusts have invested in 2 different types of VNA Technology:
1. Enterprise VNA for addition of other o-logies and other types of formats--standard for this is XDS. This end goal is for a Paperless NHS Hospital with best of breed sources and departmental systems with an integrated record. It also supports life-cycle management for radiology and non-radiology data.
2. Regional VNA--for sharing radiology images between multiple Trusts. However, this requires a VNI (Vendor Neutral Index) for successful Sharing in a true vendor neutral way--allowing any vendors PACS to query the VNI to create a timeline which covers the region. VNI with support for NHS no based DICOM query (in other patient ID sequence). I presume regional VNAs support a VNI.

Customers need to be clear when procuring VNA solutions, whether it is an Enterprise VNA+LCM, or a Regional DICOM VNA with VNI for sharing between multivendor PACS.
 Link to this message Herman Oosterwijk  posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 09:58 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
I am confused, how is the VNI different from the IHE PIX? Do I miss something?
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2016 - 10:18 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
VNI is a simple DICOM database which stores key DICOM Header Data but also multiple IDs for a patient. It is updated by Hl7 ADT updates with demographics--from all regional PASes
It supports standard DICOM C-FIND queries with NHS or CHI number in the OtherPatientID sequence. Hence, it will allow any vendors PACS to interrogate it with a C-FIND query to populate the "patient's timeline" with studies done within a network. It will direct the PACS to the enterprise PACS if C-GET is required.

This is PACS to PACS sharing for a unified patient history or timeline--using DICOM as the only standard. It does not rely on XDS capabilities within an Enterprise.

Unified timeline for patient history was identified as a single most important requirement in RCR Survey around image and report sharing. VNI addresses this requirement quite well.

Carestream already has a VNI, however, I do not know their business model--will they sell it to a customer who does not buy their PACS?
 Link to this message David Clunie  posted on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 01:04 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Hi Herman

http://wiki.ihe.net/index.php/Federated_DICOM_Query_Retrieve_-_Proposal

Benjamin M, Aradi Y, Shreiber R. From shared data to sharing workflow: Merging PACS and teleradiology. European Journal of Radiology. 2009;73(1):39. "https://www.carestream.com/merging-PACS-teleradiology-whitePaper-EJR-jan10.pdf"

David
 Link to this message Bouthina Elsayed Ibrahim  posted on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 01:16 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Hay thank you for goo cases.
 Link to this message Herman Oosterwijk  posted on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 05:35 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Thank you David, Neelam for the clarification. I was unaware of this, and indeed as the IHE proposal says, many vendors do this already in some kind of form. I would argue though that it would be better to make the jump to RESTfull query and retrieve instead of using the "traditional" FIND/MOVE or, even better, proposing two versions of the profile, one with the traditional and one with DICOMWeb-RS.
 Link to this message David Clunie  posted on Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 07:37 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Adding support for DICOMweb would be nice, but a lot of the attraction is the ability to leverage existing systems that use the PS3.4/7/8 DICOM services.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: