UK Imaging Informatics Group
Breast tomo export as priors - BTO ve... PreviousNext
UK Imaging Informatics Group > Questions & Answers > PACS Integration & Standards >
Message/Author
 Link to this message David Clunie  posted on Friday, December 16, 2016 - 07:33 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
I understand that there has been limited use of breast tomosynthesis in the UK screening programs, but thought I would ask this general question anyway.

If you are a site with a Hologic acquisition system, and you are archiving as SCO rather than BTO, how are you exporting these to CD or network image sharing systems for patients and other sites (e.g., for use as priors [1])?

The reason I ask is that the FDA MQSA NMQAAC [2] has described complaints that receiving sites are unable to view or use priors supplied on CD, and presumably the same issues apply globally.

If you are burning CDs from a PACS full of archived SCOs, for example, you may be inadvertently creating this problem.

If a recipient gets a CD of SCOs and is not itself using the Hologic workstation to view it, they won't be able to use it to see the tomo slices.

Are PACS administrators and staff burning CDs or sharing images aware of this issue and the need to make a special effort to export only BTOs for tomo, since only BTOs are interoperable between vendors?

Do you have a way to create a CD of BTOs even if you archive only as SCOs?

Are you receiving such SCOs yourself and unable to view the slices?

David

PS. Even if the recipient does have a Hologic system, it turns out that the SCOs may have been damaged during archiving to the PACS and/or CD export or image sharing and no longer be viewed by Hologic (messing with the private data elements or Series Number apparently causes the problem).

PPS. The same issue probably arises for sending sites with a Siemens acquisition system archiving as CTO rather than BTO ... if you export CTO they will not be recognized as tomo by recipients' tomo viewers.

References.

1. http://www.fda.gov/Radiation-EmittingProducts/MammographyQualityStandardsActandP rogram/Guidance/PolicyGuidanceHelpSystem/ucm052113.htm

2. National Mammography Quality Assurance Advisory Committee

Abbreviations.

SCO - Secondary Capture Object (used by Hologic to allow storage in obsolete PACS that do not support the standard BTO - tomo data in proprietary payload and slices not displayable on other vendors' systems)

CTO - Computed Tomography Object (used by Siemens to allow storage in obsolete PACS that do not support the standard BTO - tomo data in standard payload but not usefully displayed on other vendors' systems)

BTO - Breast Tomosynthesis Object (the DICOM standard object that is intended for the purpose and defined for use by the IHE DBT profile)
 Link to this message Alexander Peck  posted on Monday, December 26, 2016 - 08:49 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Happy Christmas David!

Just for info I have asked the few people I know with Hologic Tomo kit and they all archive (and export) as BTO only. It would be interesting to learn if others within the UK are any different?

Al.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: