UK Imaging Informatics Group
XDS and FHIR --complementary (not com... PreviousNext
UK Imaging Informatics Group > Questions & Answers > PACS Integration & Standards >
Message/Author
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 06:41 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Someone said to me that they were getting confused messages from me--regarding whether they should focus on XDS or FHIR as the standard.

XDS as a standard (with it registry and repository concept) allows documents and images to be archived in a standards based way --so that they can be "consumed" and displayed by any vendors display systems. I think VNA vendors are already getting very mature with provision of XDS registry and repository. There is no PACS vendor which does not offer a XDS registry-repository VNA!

FHIR does the same of discrete structured/data items--BP measurments, blood creatinine levels, diagnosis, etc. FHIR is dependent of international coding agreement --called resources. Making EPR or other Healthcare IT databases FHIR complaint will make these data items available for consumption by any vendors display/consumer.

So what does our industry need to focus on
1. VNA vendors--continue with XDS Registry repository provision
2. Display vendors --look at XDS and FHIR consumption

comments please.
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 09:42 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
I am about to give a presentation on Paperless Hospital. It has made me realise how complimentary XDS and FHIR are.
A Clinical Portal (Integrated Patient Record) will have 2 main parts
1. Patient Banner
2. Tabs
Most of the information in the Patient Banner or Main tabs will be pulled via the FHIR resource APIs. The Images and Document tab will the DocumentResource--XDS on FHIR
Here is a slide
application/pdfClinical Portal
Paperless Hospital.pdf (30.7 k)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: