UK Imaging Informatics Group
AI Platforms, PACS and RIS--standards... PreviousNext
UK Imaging Informatics Group > Questions & Answers > PACS Procurement & Business Cases >
Message/Author
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2019 - 08:09 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
https://www.auntminnieeurope.com/index.aspx?sec=sup&sub=pac&pag=dis&ItemID=61738 1

My latest article in Auntminnie. AI Image Pre-analysis is here, and likely to be as big as PACS and RIS transformations that happened in 2006-7 in the NHS. Let us encourage the PACS and RIS vendors to collaborate about the DICOM and HL7 standards and help quicker implementation.
 Link to this message Herman Oosterwijk  posted on Saturday, May 18, 2019 - 02:12 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Nice article Neelam,

One comment: it is written from a RIS-centric viewpoint, it relies on HL7 v2 transactions, technologist input to complete the study and worklist being generated by the RIS. This solution would not work with a PACS and/or EMR driven worklist, but the workflow is similar, just replacing the v2 with different transactions such as MPPS and/or Instance Availability.

Herman O.
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2019 - 10:34 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Thanks Herman. Really appreciate a comment coming from you :-)

I dont think it is limited to a RIS driven worklfow. Most reporting worklists over the world--whether in RIS, teleradiology platform, EMR, VR or a standalone worklist solution would recieve HL7 ORM message--status complete--i.e image acquisition completed by the technician/radiographer to allow the next step of workflow to start--i.e reporting.

With the AI Platform added to the reporting workflow--
Status "Complete"--will trigger AI Image Analysis
Status "Partial Results Available" from AI Platform --will send the exam to the human reporting worklist--RIS, PACS, Standalone, VR, EMR etc

Yes I have stuck to HL7 ORM messaging --as this is universally adopted by all vendors. I agree this may change in future :-)

I do hope RIS, PACS, AI Platforms and Reporting Worklist providers will collaborate around the simple HL7 standards and allow the entry of AI Platforms rapidly into the reporting worklfow to enhance patient care.
 Link to this message Herman Oosterwijk  posted on Wednesday, May 29, 2019 - 08:12 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Neelam,

One more comment: why not use the ORU instead of the ORM to report on AI results? You have the same capabilities in the ORU as it also has the OBX segment, and ORU is more "results" based vs ORM is more about the "order". Also, IHE EBIW profile uses ORU for results so it seems to fit more into the "mainstream".

herman O.
 Link to this message Neelam Dugar  posted on Wednesday, May 29, 2019 - 08:44 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Hi Herman,
This workflow is for “decision support AI”- Class 2 as per FDA approval. Here the final report will still be from a human reporter. ORM message will trigger the human reporting workflow. Class 2 is the majority of the AI software currently approved. I am keen that these appear fairly rapidly into our reporting workflow-rather than wait for the Class 3 products.

Class 3 AI where there is no need for a human reporter will issue an ORU.

Hope that explains.
 Link to this message Kovey Kovalan  posted on Friday, September 27, 2019 - 11:38 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Advertising spam removed.

(Message edited by alexpeck on September 27, 2019)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: