UK Imaging Informatics Group
Modality integration and dose data PreviousNext
UK Imaging Informatics Group > Questions & Answers > PACS Integration & Standards >
Message/Author
 Link to this message Nick Gibson  posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 04:53 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Can any one advise me as to whether returning dose information from modality to RIS/PACS is included in the IHE profiles. It appears to be a optional part of DICOM Modality Performed Procedure Step, but I can't find it reference to it under the IHE Scheduled Workflow profile
 Link to this message Rhidian Bramley  posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 09:48 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Nick,

In IHE the DICOM Radiation Dose Module and Billing and Material Module attributes are optional - in fact radiation dose is not even mentioned.

In DICOM the Radiation Dose Module does enable dose information to be included within the MPPS transaction.

See PS 3.3-2001 Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine (DICOM) Part 3: Information Object Definitions
http://medical.nema.org/dicom/2001/01_03PU.PDF#search='DICOM%20PS%203.3'

Extract page 162: Table C.4-16 defines the Attributes that may be used to communicate information related to radiation dose values. The attributes are intended to enable the Information System to store Patient exposure to ionizing radiation for legal purposes. Though these attributes are not intended to be used to accurately calculate volume dose distribution, they may serve for some quality control purposes.

It may be helpful if IHE-UK recommended inclusion of this option.
 Link to this message Martin Richards  posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 10:26 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
my colleague John Paganini who is a member of IHE obtained this view from Kevin O'Donnell:

DICOM is currently working on a Dose Reporting Supplement (Supp 94). I expect it will be released in about a year, but it isn't into public comment yet, so it's a bit hard to predict.

The current thinking is to make an SR Template and use the Storage service. So an irradiating modality will store a dose report describing exposure events to the PACS or some other dose management system.

The issue with MPPS is that it isn't persistent. The issue with images is that there is not a direct mapping between dose and images. You can have images with no dose (copy, reprocess, etc.) and dose with no images (patient motion, etc.).

Once the Supplement is published it seems reasonable for Scheduled (Acquisition) Workflow to include a Dose Reporting Option or something like that.

Kevin O'Donnell
Co-chair of the IHE Radiology Planning Committee
 Link to this message Rhidian Bramley  posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 11:20 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Martin, thanks for this. I agree that there is no point including radiation dose parameters in MPPS transaction unless they are captured by at least one of the component systems. DICOM SR is one option but in the meantime I would encourage modality and RIS suppliers to maximise the potential of all MPPS data attributes. We should all be aiming to reduce manual post examination entry wherever possible, with the obvious benefits in both clinical workflow and data integrity one can envisage through optimum use of MPPS data. This is certainly something we are exploring with the LSP reference solution.

I would be interested to know if any current RIS systems are now using MPPS data in this way to auto-fill post examination entry data fields?
 Link to this message Sharron Dyce  posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 10:27 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Is there a DICOM standard for the unit in which a dose area product should be recorded or is this modality manufacturer dependant?
 Link to this message Stephen Mason  posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:25 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
the dicom tag  (0018,115E) : Image Area Dose Product

might be the one too look for  in your file

other tags that may be useful

(0018,0060) : KVP :

(0018,1150) : Exposure Time :

(0018,1151) : X-ray Tube Current :

(0018,115E) : Image Area Dose Product :

(0018,1190) : Focal Spot(s) :

(0018,1405) : Relative X-ray Exposure :
 Link to this message Sharron Dyce  posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 09:41 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Thanks, the document above (See PS 3.3-2001 Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine (DICOM) Part 3: Information Object Definitions) on Page 163 suggests the DAP unit should be reecorded in dGYcm2

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: