UK Imaging Informatics Group
DICOM boxes PreviousNext
UK Imaging Informatics Group > Questions & Answers > PACS Integration & Standards >
Message/Author
 Link to this message Brendan Tuohy  posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 11:14 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
We for a PACS project here in Galway are investigating the possibility of using DICOM boxes instead of full Dicom interfaces from the manufacturer for cost reasons. Are there any issues, like image quality degradation we need to concern ourselves about which arise from the use of these devices?

Thank you.
 Link to this message Andrew Downie  posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 09:47 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Who, apart from the vendors themselves, is in the market of selling integration boxes for legacy equipment (Worklist functionality and storage), and does anyone have any experience of using them? The only company I know of is Merge, though I don't know what their products are like. Are there any others, and was it worth the effort installing such boxes?

Thanks

Andrew
 Link to this message John Mahoney  posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 10:48 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Absolutely - I don't want to use this site as a marketing tool - could we communicate outside of the forum?
 Link to this message Harry van den Broek  posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 09:00 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
> In Holland we had good experiences with DICOMBox from Naitech, You can find them on the internet. >
 Link to this message Stephen Cooper  posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 01:24 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
> [Cooper Stephen] We use the Merge boxes to connect some aged ultrasound and fluoroscopy equipment to our PACS system and have found them to work very well.
 Link to this message David James  posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 02:30 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Andrew,

TaraMed have wide experience in dealing with DICOM connectivity issues and have access to a number of hardware/software solutions to facilitate DICOM with legacy systems at competitive prices.

if you are interested in discussing this please come back to me.

regards

David James
 Link to this message Gareth Dellenty  posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 10:42 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Ferrania UK offer a cost effective DICOM connectivity solution for legacy systems which adds worklist, store and print functionality. Please contact me if you would like further information.
 Link to this message Mike Biro  posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 11:06 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
I understand that the leading manufacturer of DICOM connectivity boxes for all legacy equipment is Foresight Imaging who make the "EasyConnect" box for Xograph Imaging Systems.
 Link to this message Keith Morrissey  posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 05:34 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
We here in St James's Dublin have signed a PACS/RIS/EPR contract with Cerner Corporation.
They have recommended acquiring the NAITech DiCOM box for our modalities which cannot be upgraded to full DICOM 3 status ie old legacy U/S machines etc.

Mr Van Der Broek has referred to his positive experience with this particular product in Holland !

I would like to know if there are any major workflow implications or potential problems that may arise as a result of the DICOM box being used ie any demographic data that is not transferred across to PACS or lack of functionality regarding the images once received on PACS
 Link to this message Harry van den Broek  posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 08:47 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
That depends on the system. The old US machines can be hooked up with the Naitech boxes using the DICOM Modality Worklist option. In that case the demographic data can be entered correctly, and there should be no issue with sending them or storing them in the PACS. With regards to the other remark, about the lack of functionality: maybe you can elaborate on that a bit?

They have also boxes that can store video sequences etc. Maybe it is better to ask Naitech directly for other options or specific needs that you have.

>
 Link to this message Marco Crispini  posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 10:23 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Managing Director, Cypher IT Ltd
> ...was it worth the effort installing such boxes?
In all the PACS projects I've PM'd it has definitely been worth it.
-As well as functionality, consider physical box size, as some may be ok wall/floor mounted, but some may be need to be mounted on the ultrasound or II machine itself.
-Also for IIs you may need network points in theatre itself (to immediately send images to PACS) or if your workflow allows, it may be easier to schedule network point installs in the area where they are stored when not in use (often a corridor). The images are then sent to PACS after the theatre session(s).
-Do get Print as well as Store SCU and worklists. To cover you for PACS downtime.
Just a few points to consider. I hope they are helpful. Marco
 Link to this message Jignesh P Parikh  posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 05:42 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
NAI DICOM boxes come in many flavours, we use a couple of as frame grabber and some for the worklist management on C-Arm and ultrasuond machines.
For our CT, we are using a nice fat XP box called TIMS DICOM Gateway for converting analog input to the PACS. It supports DICOM query/retrieve and can burn DICOM complient CD/DVDs.
 Link to this message David O'Keeffe  posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 07:22 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
> Sorry to be a pedant, but, ...'converting analog to PACS...' . CT is > the original digital imaging modality, the problem is not with the > image but in DICOM worklist/send/print etc. The images are digital > originally, don't be fooled by people selling boxes, to take analog > output from digital originals , redigitise it and then display the > images in analog format! Buy or lease solutions not boxes! A D/A then > A/D then D/A 'solution' means image quality loss, which affects your > diagnostic capacity; unless PACS is transparent and does not impede > work flow, image quality and patient care it is not worth the money!
 Link to this message Mike Biro  posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 11:13 am Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
Representing Xograph Imaging Systems Limited - Financial Controller.

The TIMS PACS connectivity solution referred to by Jignesh P Parikh is available in the UK from Xograph.

For more information, please contact Graham Wheeler (Tel 01666 501501)
 Link to this message Keith Morrissey  posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 07:36 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
One of my main concerns with regard to the operation of these Naitech boxes is where operating in a "frame grabbing" scenario ie with U/S equipment will U/S annotations and measurements performed by the Ultrasonographers be captured correctly so that they are displayed appropriately in PACS
 Link to this message Keith Morrissey  posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 07:38 pm Edit Post Delete Post Print Post
One of my main concerns with regard to the operation of these Naitech boxes is where operating in a "frame grabbing" scenario ie with U/S equipment will U/S annotations and measurements performed by the Ultrasonographers be captured correctly so that they are displayed appropriately in PACS

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: